Modern Slavery Statement
Modern slavery encompasses slavery, servitude, human trafficking and forced labour. NWR Hygiene Group has a zero tolerance approach to any form of modern slavery. We are committed to acting ethically and with integrity and transparency in all business dealings and to putting effective systems and controls in place to safeguard against any form of modern slavery taking place within the business or our supply chain.
NWR Hygiene Group is a privately owned local company that operates from Consett, County Durham in England. We provide businesses throughout the UK with commercial washroom services, washroom hygiene services and waste management services. We have a wide range of suppliers and partners, some of which operate in different territories across the world. Below, under “Our Suppliers”, we have set out what we do as a company to make sure our suppliers are suitable to work with.
We operate a number of internal policies to ensure that we are conducting business in an ethical and transparent manner. These include:
1. Recruitment policy – We operate a robust recruitment policy, including conducting eligibility to work in the UK checks for all employees to safeguard against human trafficking or individuals being forced to work against their will.
2. Whistleblowing policy – We operate a whistleblowing policy so that all employees know that they can raise concerns about how colleagues are being treated, or practices within our business or supply chain, without fear of reprisals.
3. Code of business conduct – This code explains the manner in which we behave as an organisation and how we expect our employees and suppliers to act.
NWR Hygiene Group operates a supplier policy and maintains a preferred supplier list. We conduct due diligence on all suppliers before allowing them to become a preferred supplier. This due diligence includes an online search to ensure that particular organisation has never been convicted of offenses relating to modern slavery [and on site audits which include a review of working conditions]. Our anti-slavery policy forms part of our contract with all suppliers and they are required to confirm that no part of their business operations contradicts this policy.
In addition to the above, as part of our contract with suppliers, we require that they confirm to us that:
1. They have taken steps to eradicate modern slavery within their business
2. They hold their own suppliers to account over modern slavery
3. (For UK based suppliers) They pay their employees at least the national minimum wage / national living wage (as appropriate)
4. (For international suppliers) They pay their employees any prevailing minimum wage applicable within their country of operations
5. We may terminate the contract at any time should any instances of modern slavery come to light
We regularly conduct training for our employees so that they understand the signs of modern slavery and what to do if they suspect that it is taking place within our supply chain.
Our Performance Indicators
We will know the effectiveness of the steps that we are taking to ensure that slavery and/or human trafficking is not taking place within our business or supply chain if:
• No reports are received from employees, the public, or law enforcement agencies to indicate that modern slavery practices have been identified.
Approval for this Statement
This statement was approved by the Board of Directors of NWR Hygiene Group on 8/3/18.